GRLA has worked with EMC Corporation since 1987, completing over 150 projects totaling 4.5 million square feet of space in the Metro West Boston area and in Europe. We have provided design services for a wide variety of spaces, including: open and private office space, R & D laboratories, data and call centers, executive briefing centers, and employee amenities. Key projects include:
- 176 South Street—Hopkinton, MA. A new 650,000 square-foot office and laboratory building in the heart of EMC’s corporate campus with a full-service cafeteria, coffee shop, convenience store, hair salon, and fitness center featuring a junior Olympic-sized pool.
- Building Connector Project—Hopkinton, MA. A complex and creative design solution joining two existing buildings with a 4-level, 60,000 square foot addition. The program included an expansive 2-story lobby and reception area, security control, engineering space, conference center and employee fitness room.
- R & D Facility—Franklin, MA. GRLA designed a flexible 207,000 SF facility for labs, testing, light assembly and office use to accommodate 600 employees. A full service cafeteria and dining area located on the top floor provide panoramic views.
- Building 5: Southborough, MA. GRLA recently completed an interior rehabilitation of an existing 200,000 SF building as part of a two-phase, fast-track project. Phase I included new architectural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and a new cafeteria and servery for 200 employees. Phase II of the project included the rehabilitation of 50,000 SF of space on the building’s lower level into offices and a state-of-the-art product demonstration area for prospective clients.
- Manufacturing Facility—Franklin, MA. Gorman Richardson Lewis completed a 700,000 SF manufacturing facility for EMC close to its R & D lab and office building in Franklin. In addition to the large assembly areas, the new building includes offices, a cafeteria, servery, and fitness rooms.
- Internet Solutions Group—Hopkinton, MA. This project included the complete renovation of an existing 60,000 SF building to accommodate EMC’s Internet Solution Group. The 24 x 7 facility houses two data centers as well as a core operations center, allowing EMC to maintain and monitor all technical aspects of customers’ date and commerce needs. The new building systems component includes N + 1 redundancy to prevent system interruption in the event of a power outage.