ABOUT GRLA BUILDING ENVELOPE SCIENCES
The Building Envelope Sciences (BES) studio at Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects was founded in 2003, and today consists of a team of experienced engineers, architects, and technicians who focus on:
Solving building envelope problems in existing buildings
Design and peer review for new construction
Capital needs assessments and long term planning
Building Envelope Commissioning (BECx)
We work closely with our Architecture Studio colleagues to provide a balanced and informed approach to solving building envelope problems. The integration of architecture and building envelope science is a unique strength of GRLA's services.
What Is the Building Envelope?
The building envelope is a collective term for roof, wall, window and below-grade systems - all "six sides" of the building. Our services focus on controlling the movement of water, air, heat, and water vapor across this envelope. Read more about building envelope science here.
SERVICES WE PROVIDE
We provide building envelope consulting services related to the investigation, design, and construction phases of projects. Examples of specific services we provide are described below.
Simply put: we solve building envelope problems.
- Analysis and reporting on failures of building components
- Infrared (IR) thermography
- Water penetration testing and reporting
- Design and documentation for building envelope repairs
- Bidding and construction observation/administration
- Due-diligence, facilities, and capital needs assessments
- Inspection and maintenance programs
- Historic restoration and renovation
- Coordination with MEP and structural consultants on investigations and remediation plans
Our building envelope sciences team works on buildings of all types and sizes. We have experience in both public and private markets, as well as residential and commercial construction. We highlight some of our practice areas below.
We have helped condominium communities throughout New England to tackle building envelope problems of all types and sizes. Check out our Condominium Building Envelope Services page for more information.
GRLA building envelope staff have extensive experience on campuses in New England and beyond. Our staff have helped solve building envelope problems at institutions such as*:
- Harvard University
- Lehigh University
- Williams College
- Northeastern University
- The State University of New York
- University of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Preserving historic properties for future generations is something we are passionate about. GRLA experts have contributed to preservation projects* at prominent buildings including the Massachusetts State House, the New York State Capitol, Harvard University, Basilica Condominium, 369 Congress Street, Lehigh University, Bethany Hill Place, and The First Church of Christ, Scientist.
representative client list
- American Properties Team
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Bergmeyer Associates
- City of Marlborough
- Crowninshield Management Corp.
- Dellbrook | JKS
- EMC Corporation
- Erland Construction
- Fessenden School
- Garrison Square Management, Inc.
- Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
- Harvard University
- Jackson School
- Jones Architecture
- Newton Country Day School
- Premier Property Solutions
- Private Condominium Associations
- Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston
- St. Mark’s School
- Thayer & Associates
- The Dartmouth Group
- Towns of Ashland, Douglas, Hopkinton, Shrewsbury, and Canton
- WCVB-TV Channel 5
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
*Some projects listed are representative of staff experience while working for other firms.